Scholarships awarded by employers, individuals, companies, high schools, religious groups, and professional associations independently of John Wesley University are outside scholarships. Criteria for outside scholarships vary greatly from scholarship to scholarship, but generally include academic performance, financial need, religious affiliation, minority status, heritage, community affiliations, or other unique criteria important to the sponsoring individual or organization. Students are encouraged to pursue as many outside scholarships as possible.

Reporting Outside Scholarships

It is the student’s responsibility to notify the Financial Aid Office when you have been awarded an outside scholarship for any semester. It is in your best interest to report scholarships for the academic year verses per semester in case there are any adjustments that will need to be made to the student’s account. You may report your outside scholarship by submitting a copy of the award notification from the donor agency to our office. These documents may be mailed, emailed, faxed or hand-delivered to the Financial Aid Office.

E-mail:             mkennon@johnwesley.edu

Fax:                  336-889-2261

Postal Mail:     John Wesley University
Attn: Financial Aid
1215 Eastchester Drive
High Point, NC 27265

Effect on Financial Aid Awarded

Receipt of an outside scholarship may require an adjustment to your financial aid award in an effort to prevent your account from going into overaward or overbudget. The Financial Aid Office gives students the maximum allowable benefit permitted by federal and state regulations when incorporating outside scholarships into the existing financial aid award. If it is necessary to adjust aid already awarded, we will reduce monies that are least beneficial to you. Your loans will be reduced or relocated first, followed by work-study, and then federal or state grants last. Student are notified of award adjustments via their university email and the personal email address provided on the FAFSA.

Additional Information Request

Donors may require an invoice, proof of enrollment, or an official transcript prior to releasing funds for a scholarship. Invoice requests can be made by emailing the Business Office. Enrollment verification or official transcript can be arranged upon request through the Registrar Office.

Payment of Outside Scholarships

If the scholarship check is payable to the student only, the scholarship still needs to be reported to the Financial Aid Office. If the scholarship check is co-payable to the student and the university, students will need to endorse the check before payment can be disbursed. Email notification will be sent to the student’s university email upon arrival of the check. Our policy is the disburse funds equally between the fall and spring semesters unless otherwise notified by the donor only to disburse funds entirely to one semester.

Notification letters and/or checks received should include the following:

  • Student’s full name
  • Term to apply award (fall only, spring only, fall & spring)

Checks should be mailed to the following address:

John Wesley University
Attn: Financial Aid
1215 Eastchester Drive
High Point, NC 27265

Questions or Concerns

Should you have any questions or concerns regarding outside scholarships, you may contact the Financial Aid Office at 336-821-2476 or by email at financialaid@johnwesley.edu.

How to Avoid Scams

Finding and Applying for Scholarships

College Scholarship Guide


Available Outside Scholarships

Important Links to Remember

Requirements for the “Say Yes to Education” Grant

Donor Scholarship Opportunities

John Wesley University Scholarship Opportunities